Quality Parental Choice
CEAM supports policies and practices that will guarantee every Missouri child has access to quality educational options.
When families have educational options they will be empowered to make a school choice that meets their unique student’s needs.
Open enrollment frees families from their assigned traditional public school. There are two kinds of open enrollment:
- Intra-district open enrollment allows students to transfer to a different traditional public school within their school district of residence.
- Inter-district open enrollment allows students to choose a public school in a district outside the school district where they live.
Student Transfers Out of Unaccredited Districts
Missouri law allows students who attend school in a district that is classified as “unaccredited” to transfer to a neighboring school district. This law has affected families in the Normandy Schools Collaborative and the Riverview Gardens School District over the past several years.
Check out the Student Transfer Toolkit for Normandy and Riverview Gardens transfers.
Expanding High-Quality Charter Public Schools
Charter public schools are publicly funded, nonprofit schools with an independent governing board. They are held accountable by their sponsor (usually a university) for producing positive academic outcomes.
Charter schools are tuition-free schools that are required to enroll all students who live within their boundaries. In order to expand the number of quality charter options available, CEAM believes the following issues need to be addressed:
- Provide access to inexpensive or free facilities for charter public schools, such as closed traditional public schools. It doesn’t make sense for a charter public school to pay a lot of money for a building that tax payers already bought once. Learn more about that here.
- Allow proven operators and sponsors more flexibility for expansion. Charter operators and sponsors who have a proven track record of providing a great education for Missouri kids should have greater opportunities to expand or open additional charter public schools.
- Allow students to cross district borders to attend a charter public school. CEAM believes students everywhere should have access to charter schools.
- Create a talent pipeline ready to support and grow quality charter public schools. Because charter public schools are more autonomous and innovative than most traditional public schools, they need innovative educators and leaders. Traditional teacher and administrator training usually doesn’t do that.Private School Choice
CEAM believes a student’s right to an education should include all high-quality options that will meet their needs, including private school options.
- Scholarship tax credits: A scholarship tax credit is a scholarship awarded to a student in primary or secondary school who wishes to attend a non-public school. The individual or organization that makes a donation for the scholarship is awarded a tax credit.
- Educational Savings Accounts: Education Savings Accounts are private accounts managed by parents for use on educational expenses for their child.
To find out about our other policy principles CLICK HERE.